This family has the most numerous gravestones in the Crypt. From the settlement of New Haven in 1638 right into the 20th century, the Trowbridges were prominent citizens, taking an active part in church and community. Originally, their home lots faced the harbor alongside another influential family, the Rutherfords. They made their fortunes in shipping and had wharves and warehouses close to their residences. As the city grew away from the clamorous dockside, the Trowbridges built elegant mansions on Elm Street facing the Green (“Quality Row”), Hillhouse Avenue and Prospect Street. One of the impetuses for building Fort Hale on the east shore of the harbor during the Civil War was the fear that the Confederates would attack the valuable vessels belonging to the seafaring families like the Trowbridges. Daniel Trowbridge owned a schooner, which was captured and burned by the Confederate ship, Sumpter on October 27, 1861. The captain and crew were bound for the West Indies with a cargo of provisions. They were put ashore on Martinique and made their way home from there.
The Trowbridges were staunch Center Church members. In 1879 Thomas Rutherford Trowbridge, Jr. renovated the dark, damp Crypt by putting in gaslights and a cement floor. In 1894 Ezekiel Hayes Trowbridge gave the renown stained glass window by Tiffany over the altar in memory of his father. In the early 1900s his home at 311 Temple Street was bought by the church to be used as a Chapel, Parish House and Sunday School.